Monday, August 1, 2011

Ride Idaho

I'm doing a cycling tour next week in Idaho; this will be my fifth tour. The riding will be challenging but not impossible as we will cover 400 miles in one week with about 10k feet of climbing. The scenery promises to be awesome - I will definitely report back after the trip with some pics.

While prepping for a tour gets easier with experience, each one has its own unique set of challenges. For the Ride Idaho, the biggest challenge (aside from trying to log miles in for preparation) is that we will be camping out every night. This has created an interesting dynamic trying to figure out what kind of camping gear to get. My buddy Jon in Idaho captured the essence of the trip best when he tweeted "this is turning into a camping trip with some cycling".

Luckily I got to do a camping dry run with my brother and nephew a few weeks ago. After this experience, I'm most worried about getting a good night's sleep so that I can have the energy to ride each day.

I'm looking forward to this tour because it appears to be well organized and it seems to be geared around having a good time. There are people coming from 31 states and Canada to do the ride.

Here's a link to the ride web site if you have any interest in checking it out:

http://www.rideidaho.org/

2 comments:

Heather said...

Good luck and have a great trip, buds.

Chunks Daddy said...

Bully-

Enjoy Idaho!

I meant to send you this link before:
http://teamjesse.org/ride/

My sister-in-law's brother started a charity for a fallen soldier. He's midway through a cross-country trip to raise funds. I thought you'd appreciate the daily wrap-up of his ride.

Don