Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A Setback

No, not the hammy. My seatpost.

My touring gear is slowly arriving. Just got my Brooks B17 Champion Special in Honey Brown with Copper Rails. Wow, what a beauty. Total classic:



Only problem is there's limited setback on the Brooks saddles. When I hopped on my bike after mounting the seat I got flashbacks to my first touring bike which was too small and I ended up returning. I was so dying to own the bike, in a state of delusion, I found myself pushing so far back on my saddle that my hammys were on the sitbone area. I digress. The bigger problem is that my existing seatpost actually has some reasonable offset to it (20mm) and finding more offset appears difficult. While not entirely unrideable, the cockpit definitely feels a bit tight so I want some flexibility. I ordered this seatpost from Wallbike in the hopes I get some relief:



The clamp on this seatpost starts at the rear of the post, whereas the clamp on my existing seatpost starts in the middle of the post. My seatpost is diameter is 27.2mm, so if I gain 1/2 of this or the radius, I should get roughly 13mm of clearance. That's actually pretty solid. I hope it works out this way.

My Ortlieb panniers and Tubus Cargo rear rack should be arriving in the next few days. I'll update as appropriate.

No comments: