Monday, October 1, 2007

Day 8: New Jerseys

Date: 9/15/07
From: Florence
To: N/A
Miles: N/A
Miles Completed: 332.5 (12,900 ft. of climbing)
Lunch: Il Latini
Dinner: Il Vecchio Carlino (via le Fratelli Rosseli)
Gelato: Vivoli
Accommodations: Hotel Romagna

Today was our first planned day off, but our second rest day so far based on our impromptu decision two days ago. (In retrospect, we could have easily done the ride to Siena and I have some slight regrets because Siena is supposed to be a great city and the ride from Siena to Florence is supposed to be beautiful).

Finally, our quest for cycling jerseys is fulfilled and in a big way I might add. We start the day off by walking to S. Bianci, the bike shop where Dr. Ed visited 10 years ago. The location has changed and the shop is much smaller (both symbolic of how much more touristy the city has become). The shop owner and his assistant are both very friendly – the owner even politely feigns to remember Dr. Ed from his last trip (I’m pretty sure Dr. Ed bought it though). I bought one of the shop’s team jerseys (malia squadra) – it’s pretty cool/I’m pumped to wear it at home. Next we went to another bike shop around the corner and we hit the motherload – dozens of jerseys. I felt like someone who just emerged from the dry desert and saw a water fountain – I end up buying three jerseys here after an hour or so of perusing and modeling them for a couple of Aussie girls who are shopping for their boyfriends (but at the same time showing a keen interest in me and Ed…hmmmmm). Dr. Ed laughed at me because I was like a kid in a candy store (re the jerseys).


Florence is growing on me; although my appetite for "sightseeing" is very limited. I think it's because of the amount of walking that is required and the fact this is supposed to be a rest day. Here's an obligatory/gratuitous shot of the Duomo in Florence – the only real sightseeing I did. However, I will of course lie and tell people at home I saw the David (and any other Florence attractions they cite). I’m starting to develop my touring “identity” and I’m realizing I like the riding the most. On my next tour, I’m going to ride more miles during the day (including visiting more little towns) and spend less time exploring big cities on foot because it requires you getting into another mindset rather quickly (showering, changing, getting a map, identifying the attractions, etc…) and it can be both mentally and physically taxing after the day’s ride.

We ate lunch @ Il Latini, which was recommended by a friend from home and is consistently rated among the best restaurants in Europe. This makes me skeptical (tourist trap) but the locals assure us it’s very good. There’s definitely a touristy feel to it but the locals are right as I have an incredible dish of sausage and white beans – it was almost like a hearty but basic stew – the sausage was so tasty and fresh. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I’m actually getting sick of pasta (perish the thought) so I ask Barbara at the hotel for a good pizza place and she recommends Trattoria Paledioro, which is a bit outside the city limits. Despite the relatively long walk, I am excited to try the place since something off the beaten path is bound to be good – we aren’t disappointed as we have incredible pizzas (I had bacon and onion). If I return to Florence, I’ll definitely be returning to Trattoria Paledioro. We make our standard gelato run and get the best so far at Vivoli – very fresh and great consistency – this is another place I’ll try again in Florence.

It’s been a long day off with lots (too much) walking so I need some rest. We’re off to Pisa tomorrow and I'm already debating whether to venture to see the leaning tower – we'll see how close it is to our hotel.

No comments: