Sunday, February 17, 2008

Underappreciated

Here are three albums I believe are underappreciated. I’d love to hear if any of my readers have any albums to add. I’d also love to know if I have any readers.

1. Animals, Pink Floyd - I love this album; although it's definitely polarizing album for Pink Floyd fans for some reason. Great lyrics, trippy effects, sweet progressive beats and constant shots at the establishment. -- what's not to love?

2. Original Masters, Jethro Tull - Jethro Tull is just plain underappreciated – Ian Anderson’s voice, the fact he plays the flute, etc... There's probably a more comprehensive compilation for them but I love the hit rate here.

3. Sublime, Sublime - This is the album of the three I'm least likely to listen to as I approach 40 years old but it doesn't diminish its greatness. The band Sublime was shortlived because its lead singer overdosed on heroine but this was their breakout album as the modern day Zeppelin. I think Led Zeppelin is the greatest band of all time based on one distinguishing factor: range (their hits span every rock category). This is the reason I think Stadium Arcadium was a breakout album for The Red Hot Chili Peppers as prior to this album, most of their songs sounded the same/like derivatives of one another. In short, the album Sublime demonstrates the band's range -- too bad it was their last.

No comments: