Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Running Back to the Bike

Last night I did the unthinkable. I went for a run in Central Park for the first time in about 10 years. I'm still doing my long Saturday rides but I've been diversifying my exercise lately, playing some tennis on Sundays and running started to enter my head somehow. It was everything I remembered it to be (painful and boring). The best thing I can say about it was it was over relatively quickly. It doesn't take long to run 2 miles.

Some observations compared to cycling:

1) You can't "take it in" running like you can cycling. It's too intense. All I kept thinking was "when is this going to be over?" and had no time to enjoy the beauty around me (in all forms).

2) Granted I only ran 2 miles, but the feeling afterward is totally different than cycling. It's hard to explain but cycling seems to make both your mind and body tired/depleted whereas running really only your legs. It could be because during cycling you are constantly expending mental energy being aware of traffic and your fellow riders.

3) I'd rather ride 100 miles than run 5 miles. Running is painful and not fun.

4) Running kills your feet. They hurt more than my legs right now. Interesting how running hurts your feet and cycling your head. Ok, maybe only interesting to me.

5) I may actually run again despite all the negativity because it's a much more efficient workout.

6) Way too many people have cycling blogs at this point. Granted, most of them aren't sprinkling in posts about Deleveration. But still, it doesn't feel too unique. Not sure there's a point here.

2 comments:

firSSt said...

there is no point to a blog. most are narcissistic delusions of no interest to anyone. shall we quit?

Anonymous said...

Once you are running 30-40 miles per week (in addition to cycling) then you will get a similar enjoyment. Go on a 5 hour trail run in the redwoods. You will definitely soak in the surroundings and the smell of pot as you run past kids hot-boxing a cave...