Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Waterford, Full Circle

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted. I've been spending a lot of time researching bikes because I want a change. I like my Felt 4C but it's not a proper fit. I've learned more about my riding style over the past few years and prefer a more relaxed geometry that will provide more comfort on longer rides.

As firSSt can attest to because he's seen it firSSt hand, I can be quite analytical when it comes to decision making. And there's more than meets the eye. I've pretty much gone through a trillion iterations in my mind regarding brand of bike, bike shop, frame material, etc...

I've decided to go with a custom Waterford steel frame. It's highly regarded among steel junkies and has a great history. Waterford is co-owned by Richard Schwinn, who is the grandson of the original Schwinn founder. Richard bought the Wateford, WI facility out of bankruptcy in the 80s and has been cranking out custom steel frames ever since.

I pretty much set my heart on steel from the start. I have a steel touring bike and like the ride a lot -- also, I love the old-school nature of steel. In making my decision, I thought about Colnago, custom Serotta, custom Independent Fabrication, etc... But you see a million of these bikes on the road. I want something special. Something different. Waterford fits the bill. Their bikes aren't flashy, but they are well made and have an understated elegance. The most interesting part of my choosing Waterford is the very first time I complained publicly on a ride that I didn't like my bike and wanted a steel one, a guy on our ride ask me if I wanted to try his bike "it's a Waterford" he said. I haven't seen one since. I know him pretty well and see him a bunch. He loves the bike.

It's strange Waterford didn't enter my mind earlier but I guess I was approaching things from what the good local bike shops could offer. When I tweaked the search to start from the manufacturer end, they jumped off the page. I'm trying to schedule a fit appointment with a local bike shop Waterford uses. I'll update the blog afterward.

No comments: