Friday, September 5, 2008

A Wasted Trip Worthwhile

Last night I rode my bike to Dr. Ed's apartment in Brooklyn to install my new crankset. Turns out he didn't have the right tools. While it was a waste of a trip as far as fixing the bike went, the experience was worthwhile for several reasons.

1) I got to "commute" by bike for the first time. I was cruising the streets of NYC at rush hour. You not only have to watch out for cars and pedestrians, but other bikes as well. In a word, it's insane. But exhilarating as well. I got to ride the 9th Ave dedicated bike lane for the first time. It's separated from the rest of the street by a median (similar to Amsterdam). It's pretty cool but only lasts for like 20 blocks.

2) Brooklyn rocks. It's a cycling paradise. Spacious bike lanes, lots of other bikers, and respect from cars. It was the total anti-Manhattan. Brooklyn has jumped up to #1 on my list of places to move.

3) Riding over the Brooklyn Bridge is awe inspiring. I was unsure whether I was going to take the subway home but brought my head and taillights just in case. I decided to give riding back a whirl. I crossed the BB at 9pm and was blown away by the lights of the Manhattan skyline. Oh, and apparently it's romantic as well. I spotted about 20 couples making out on the bridge.

4) It confirmed my belief that Manhattan is way too crowded. I know I live right next to one of the most crowded areas (Times Square), but it's crowded all over the place. Brooklyn has a great neighborhood feel in comparison. The biggest drawback to moving to Brooklyn is that it puts me very far away from my traditional rides up into NJ, etc... But there a tons of positives.

No comments: