Wednesday, September 5, 2007

The Art of Packing

Well the bike is packed. Just writing those words is a relief. It was one of those experiences that tests your patience, many times over. Suffice it to say, I had many swings of emotions trying to get it done. I used a Trico Iron Case, which has a great reputation and I think in the end will likely stand up to it.

Basically, the case works like a club sandwich. There are three foam pieces, which are essentially the bread, the frame is the meat and the wheels are the lettuce. In order to make the sandwich fit, I needed to remove the wheels, handlebars and seat/seapost. (I also needed to remove the rack.) Afert I layed the first piece of foam inside the bottom half of the case, I was perplexed how the bike and tires were going to fit considering just the frame itself was alread sticking out a few inches higher than the bottom half of the bike box. I then put on another piece of foam, followed by the wheels, which overlapped each other a bit. Now the top piece of foam and then the top of the bike case. Wow, the thing was like 6 inches from being able to close. What to do? I put gentle pressure on the case until it compressed a bit. Then I clipped the straps loosely and began to tighten them as the foam compressed. Despite my reservations, the case actually closed nice and snug. Whether there is any damage to the bike or spokes is a seperate issue!

I have a major packing dilema as you can only pack 80 total lbs for checked luggage and my bike and bike case alone weigh 60 lbs. That leaves 20 lbs for everything else. Nearly impossible. BUUUUUT, I plan to carryon a backpack (which allows me an extra 13 lbs) and will use my barbag as a personal item (aka manpurse!). I should be able to get everything under weight using this methodology.

I have a checklist of items I need to bring below. In order to be fully organized and sufficiently anal, I also listed next to the item where it would be packed and where it would be stored during touring. Basically, anything I don't need while touring (my backpack, etc...), will be left in the bikebox (which is being stored at Linate Airport for the two weeks we tour).

T minus two days...can't wait.

Item/Packing/Touring
Panniers/Duffle Bag/Bike
Duffle Bag/Duffle Bag/Bikebox
Bike Rack/Duffle Bag/Bike
iPod/Backpack/Barbag
iPod Cable Charger/Backpack/Barbag
Camera/Backpack/Barbag
Camera Charger/Backpack/Barbag
Alien Bike Tool/Bikebox/Barbag
Lifu Tool/Bikebox/Barbag
Pump/Bikebox/Bike
Water Bottles/Bikebox/Bike
Helmet/Duffle Bag/Bike
Gloves/Duffle Bag/Bike
Glasses/Barbag/Bike
Mirror/Barbag/Bike
Tubes/Barbag/Pannier - Right
Tire/Duffle Bag/Pannier - Right
Grease/Bikebox/Pannier - Right
Spokes/Bikebox/Pannier - Right
Pedals/Bikebox/Bike
Xtra pedal platforms/Bikebox/Pannier - Right
Xtra cleat screws/Bikebox/Barbag
Lube/Bikebox/Pannier - Right
Italy Tour Book/Barbag/Barbag
Italian Convo Book/Barbag/Barbag
Touring Book/Barbag/Barbag
Barbag/Backpack/Bike
Travel Pillow/Backpack/Bikebox
Int'l Power Adapter/Barbag/Barbag
Touring Journal/Barbag/Barbag
Riding Shoes/Duffle Bag/Bike
Cycling Shorts and Shirts/Duffle Bag/Pannier - Right
Flip Flops/Duffle Bag/Pannier - Left
Cargo Pants/Duffle Bag/Pannier - Left
Wool socks/Duffle Bag/Pannier - Left
Merino Tee/Duffle Bag/Pannier - Left
Merino Polo/Duffle Bag/Pannier - Left
Shorts/Duffle Bag/Pannier - Left
Underwear/Duffle Bag/Pannier - Left
Icebreaker Longsleeve/Duffle Bag/Pannier - Left
Showers Pass Jacket/Duffle Bag/Pannier - Right

No comments: