Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Stroke of Genius

I’ve really been thinking about the fit of my bike lately as I’m not getting as much power as I think I should be. Further, I don’t see or feel as much muscular development in my legs this year, which indicates I’m not positioned correctly.

After some self reflection, self-measurement and triangulation, I definitely think the top tube of my bike is too long (the top tube is the bar on the bike that is below your crotch when you are standing over the bike). It’s 58cm but should likely be 56cm. While bike posture is a complex interaction of many measurements and angles, the basic impact of a longer top tube for someone like me who is inflexible (muscle-wise) is that you are more stretched out which can impede your leg stroke bc you feel too compressed in your hip area.

Unfortunately, top tube length really can’t be changed. I was convinced I needed a new frame to accommodate my measurements. However, Eric from my maintenance class has made some genius revisions and recommendations that have really improved my posture and power. Basically, he gave me a steeper angled stem which brings the handlebars higher and has recommended shorter reach handlebars. Effectively these changes will give me the feel of a shorter top tube.

I had my first ride with the new stem last night and it was incredible how much more comfortable I was. Also the power was back in my legs and I could feel my muscles working more directly. I felt a little pain in my kneecaps but that should be easily fixable by tweaking my saddle position. Now I just need to change my handlebars and my problems should be solved.

2 comments:

Chunks Daddy said...

i've never heard anyone complain that their tube was too long.

firSSt said...

bully, face it, you're inflexible (in every way).