Thursday, March 27, 2008

Carlsbad-ass

I'm finishing up a trip in Carlsbad, California. It goes without saying the area is breathtaking. The laid back lifestyle is great as well. But the part that sticks with me the most is how bike friendly it is. Every road has a nice wide bike lane and the fronts of buses all have large storage bins/racks for people to put their bikes.

This got me thinking about bicycle friendly towns in the U.S. NYC has a large cycling community but is relatively bicycle unfriendly in my opinion. They can definitely do more to promote cycling. I'd love to help with this effort and may look to contact Mayor Bloomberg directly as an ambassador.

I found a cool list put out by the League of American Bicyclists that gives communities cycling friendly certifications based on their Five Es rating system: Engineering, Education, Encouragement, Enforcement, and Evaluation & Planning. There are four levels of certification: Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze. Check it out:

http://www.bikeleague.org/programs/communities/bfc_master_list_jan_08.pdf

No comments: