Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Art of War

Perhaps Sun Tzu's most famous quote from the Art of War is "every battle is won before it is fought". Today I lost the battle at 5:40am.

Last week between rain and scheduling conflicts I wasn't able to make either of the Tues/Thurs morning A training rides in Central Park. Today I made my first appearance since I finished all three laps roughly two weeks ago. As soon as I got up this morning I had it in my head I wasn't going to finish. I thought to myself "my legs feel sluggish...I didn't sleep well...man is it hot out"...you name the excuse and I had it ready in my head.

Even as I rolled up to the meeting spot at Tavern on the Green I told a few people I know "man...I'm not finishing today". Guess what? I didn't finish. I did however make 1.5 very fast laps before fading into the distance. The first lap was 16:20 - which is almost a full minute faster than the fastest lap from two weeks ago (17:10). I haven't decided if I'm going to do the Thursday laps or not -- it really depends on whether I decide to do a distance ride tomorrow or not.

No comments: