Monday, June 30, 2008

Idaho Update

I'm on an extended vacation in Idaho that has two parts. First, I was joined for five days by a good buddy of mine, Ross. Next, I'm spending a week with firSSt riding around the McCall area on our bikes.

I dropped Ross off in Boise today. We had a great time and I think he came away pretty impressed with the area. We arrived Thursday afternoon and played golf at Tamarack on Friday. Ross is a great athlete. He crushed me for the first 12 or so holes but I came back to even the score by the end. Tamarack is a beautiful course. On Saturday, we had a local outfitter take us flyfishing on the north fork of the Payetter River. It was the first time fly fishing for both of us -- I had a blast. I can definitely see how people enjoy it. It helped that I caught a huge fish -- a 22" wild idaho rainbow trout. Ross is forwarding me the pictures later and I'll post them here. Saturday afternoon we took a ride up to Riggins, headed east onto the main fork of the Salmon River and ascended back up to McCall through some windy mountain roads. On Sunday, we rode mountain bikes on Tamarack. It was intense. We took the lift up the mountain and rode some treacherous trails down. Ross took a huge digger, falling off his bike along a steep drop. Luckily he was stopped by a big bush about 10 feet down or he might have been seriously injured. He was still pretty banged up though with lots of scrapes and bruises on him. He perserved like the 25 year old he is.



FirSSt and I did a warmup ride today. Cycling here is awesome. We took a back road that runs along farmland with cows and horses. The views of the mountains in the background were serene. I'm pumped up to do some more riding.

No comments: