Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Parking Dilemma

Armed with the powerful motivation that starts with each cycling season, I decided to head out for a ride in relatively brisk weather today. I left my house around 11am in order to catch what was likely going to be the warmest part of the day (low 40s).

As I pulled into the Westbury High School parking lot, I saw the security guard who pleasantly let me park there a few weeks ago. I decided to take nothing for granted so I pulled up to him and kindly asked him if I could park there for a bike ride. He gave me a stern no, stating there's no parking during school hours. I referred back to last time and he hinted it was after hours (he's right, it was). I asked him if there was anywhere else to park and he indicated it was a difficult area to find parking.

I left the lot in search of street parking. But all the side streets are very narrow and didn't appear to have any room. I saw a mail carrier and asked him where I could park -- he said there aren't many spots but pointed to an area maybe I could try. I didn't feel comfortable parking where he suggested.

I decided to cruise around a bit to find parking but everything was so tight and residential -- my excitement about cycling on Long Island was starting to fade. If I couldn't find a place to park mid-week, how was I going to do training rides? Just as I was about to give up, I saw a cyclist riding on the street so I pulled up and asked him about parking -- he lives in the area so he never needs to park. He also acknowledged how difficult parking was but suggested a municipal lot over by the LIE.

I found the lot but unfortunately it was for the town hall, courtroom and police department. I decided to go in and ask the cops what the town parking regulations were and where I could park. "No street parking in the whole town of Old Westbury", one cop said. "So I'm screwed, huh?" I asked. The cop then hinted that while it was 20 minute parking in their lot that they wouldn't break my balls if I left my bike there for a few hours to ride. But that they didn't want it turning into 50 cyclists parking there every day. I appreciated his kind offer but it didn't seem sustainable. The second cop suggested I check the colleges on Northern Blvd.

I pulled into the New York Institute of Technology and found a lot about 1/4 mile into the campus drive. I didn't see any signs for permits so I asked a few students. They all said that permits were required but that it's never enforced as half of them don't even have them ‎stuck in their windows. This felt like the spot to park, but it was almost 1pm and I was getting hungry. I decided to go home and try this lot the next time I ride. If it works out, the New York Institute of Technology is actually a great spot to park because it's on the route of the training ride I've been doing.

I'm also going to check with members of the LIBC to see if they have any suggestions for mid-week parking.

No comments: