Monday, March 9, 2009

What a Difference a Year Makes

Just a refresher that the SIG is a 12 week progressive Saturday ride series that starts with a 40 mile ride at about 15mph and ends with a 100 mile ride at about 19mph. Last year, I could barely finish the 40 mile ride at a 15mph pace. I started out in the first group but go dropped (quickly) as as I was dropping from group to group I had leaders (who didn't know I was a leader - but who could blame them, I sucked) yelling at me "keep spinning your legs" to which I yelled back with the limited breath I had "I'M A F*CKING LEADER!!!!" as my legs twitched and buckled.

This year, the captain of the SIG program introduced me as a guy who has ridden his bike around the world and "it's early in the season so he's not much to look at but trust me he'll form into a great rider later on". OUCH. Well embarrassment is a great motivator. I was in much better shape this year. In fact, I was borderline strong. I guess the spinning has paid off, which is great.

I'm really motivated to ride this year. Each year it feels like I enjoy the start of the season more and more. With my semi-retirement status, I'm thinking I should be able to break last year's mileage mark of 3,600 miles although I don't want to pressure myself too hard.

Here's to a great ride season.

No comments: