Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Bullying NYC Traffic

Unlike most NYC cyclists, I love riding my bike in the city. It's a true adventure and definitely more art than science. The biggest mistake most people make is that they are too timid when they ride in the city -- it's much better to be assertive than passive. Most vehicles respect aggression, even from a bike.

There are exceptions to the rule though. Buses and cabs are the alpha males on the streets of NYC. Buses are to be feared and respected. I never mess with a bus because a bus can phuck you up good. Riding next to a bus is like swimming next to a whale. When the bus turns, it creates a huge tide of movement and you can get whacked out of nowhere. Repeat, I steer clear of buses.

Taxis on the other hand...well, there's a lot of friction between cyclists and cabdrivers in the city. They are trying to make a living and we are an inconvenience. Unlike buses, I will pretty much take on a cab at anytime in terms of road positioning. I'm pretty much on code red/high alert at all times. If a cab disrespects my rights as a cyclist, I will make sure he pays the price. Taxis are like children -- they are always pushing their boundaries and they need to be disiplined. While some of the things cabdrivers do are grey area and up for individual interpretation, there is one pervasive annoyance I won't tolerate. When a taxi sees a fare on a crowded street, he will dart across three lanes at full speed and stop short at a 45 degree angle cutting off the bike lane. This is so dangerous for everyone on the road, including cars and pedestrians. When a cab does this to me I go around the drivers side and pound the living shit out of his back door. I've probably given a half dozen dents so far this season. I will also jawbone the living sh*t out of him. I consider this preventative medicine as hopefully next time he'll think twice about trading a $10 fare for a $500 dent in his cab.

No comments: