Sunday, April 20, 2008

A Record Week

I crushed it on the bike this week, cranking out 170 miles. My legs are feeling it though. Outside of Italy, this is the most amount of mileage I've ever pumped out in a week -- surprassing the 145 miles I did the first week of July last year.

Yesterday was the highlight of the week. I rode 70 miles with my training group and we were blazing. We got done in under 5 hours, including two rest stops for food and slower mileage in and out of NYC. We were blasting out 22-23 mph on the flats for a good part of the ride. I was dead tired yesterday though.

Today I went for a recovery ride into NJ to one of my favorite bagel shops -- Ronnie's Bagels in Northvale. It's 40 miles round trip -- I tell people I go there to get my Sunday bagel. I wore new bib shorts which were a bit too small so the padding (chamois) was in the wrong place and I felt uncomfortable all ride. Wow did I learn my lesson on picking the right cycling shorts. This is one area I'm no longer skimping on. Only the best from now on. In fact, I got a pair of Assos winter knicker hand-me-downs from a buddy two weeks ago. I rode them last weekend and was in awe with how good the padding felt. I'm trying to muster up the strength to pay $200 for cycling bib shorts as we speak. It's a tough hill to climb.

Ride on.

1 comment:

firSSt said...

dood. 24 miles YTD.