Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Class One Review: Two Wrenches Up

The first maintenance class started pretty slow and didn’t hold much promise. It was raining all day so only 5 of the 8 participants showed and only one brought their own bike. This guy Oz brought his brand spanking new Cervelo C3 CSC tricked out with Dura Ace components and Mavic SSC SL wheels -- FirSSt would have loved it. (PS, if you tried to picture what an Oz would look like you’d be 180 degrees off – this guy was 60 years old, milkbred and no streetsmarts).

The class takes place after hours in the back of Bicycle Habitat, a bike shop in the village. We all pulled up stools around the bike stand where the Cervelo was perched and our teacher/mechanic, Eric, asked everyone their level of knowledge in bike mechanics. Everyone but me said they basically knew nothing. Ugghhhh – I’m thinking this may be even more painful than I was preparing myself. “Anyone ever change a flat?” Eric asks. Everyone shakes their head no. Oh man, bring on the pain. Noone has changed a flat here? Have you RIDDEN a bike before, I thought to myself?

After the flat changing exercise things started to crank up. Eric started wheeling through the bike components explaining how to fine tune derailleurs, set brakes properly, lube the chain, etc…Some of it was very basic but altogether it was hugely informative. I always have problems getting my brake centered over my wheel and now I know how to fix it myself. That piece of info alone was worth the two hours. We also got to ask questions freeform and Eric explained that we will be building a customer’s bike from scratch during one session. AWESOME. He encouraged us to bring in our bikes so we can fine-tune them as part of the class. Additionally, he’s going to fit us to our bikes at the end (a second opinion to Wobblenaught can’t hurt). We’re also going to tackle wheel truing as well.

I’m pretty pumped for this class now. I was going to bring my bike this week but the rain prevented me. I think next week I’ll be bringing it rain or shine because the benefit is huge.

I also predict a stint as a bike mechanic in my future. I love the whole setup back there – the badass bike stands, the classic rock humming over the speakers, miles of tools and a tool chest for each mechanic. I ask Eric which tools he likes. He looks at me funny…”Park of course – why would you buy anything other than a company that stakes its reputation on making tools?” Dumb question I guess. I look forward to asking more of them next week.

2 comments:

firSSt said...

moonlighting as a wrench. nice. probably the highest paid mechanic on the street. this will be great experience for micromanaging your wrenches when you open your own shop.

firSSt said...

don't ever doubt wobblenaught.