Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Day 10: Ravenna Rocks

I'm in love with the town of Ravenna. It's not a town that you really hear all that much about. It's kind of an under the radar sea-side town to the south of Venice and east of Bologna. And truth be told, there's really not that much to say about it. It's famous for its murals and definitely has some historical significance. But it's not necessarily a place you would target if you went to Italy.

Yet there's just something about it. It has a great vibe. It's the perfect size -not too big, but just big enough. The people are friendly, happy and welcoming. The food is very good and cheap. And there are some beautiful and tranquil hidden areas if you take the time to look.

But I may not be alone in my admiration for Ravenna. The travel guide I have says that most people go to Ravenna just to see its murals but realize it's a pleasing medely of shops, restaurants and piazzas. Additionally, when I arrived in Bologna (yes I know I'm jumping ahead a bit), a tourist was asking a local what his favorite city in all of Northern Italy was - he answered "Ravenna!".

Let's keep Ravenna our little secret though, okay?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravenna

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your secret is safe with me. i have no friends and talk to no one.

Mr. Ignall said...

"Anonymous"?!

Man, I didn't know Ted Danson reads my blog. SO SWEET!!