Friday, June 19, 2009

Day 14: Montecchio Emilia to Sant'Andrea Bagni (37 miles)

Today's ride was relatively short but not so easy. It was the first time I did some climbing (probably about 1k feet -- nothing too killer but enough to get the blood pumping, especially in the heat). Also, whereas yesterday's ride had one turn in 50 miles, today's had like 30 turns in about 35 miles. Needless to say, I was asking for a lot of help from locals.

Yesterday's experience with the computer guys (who didn't ask me for money after spending 15 mins fixing my laptop) got me thinking about the Italian economy. I mean, the amount of economic activity here pales in comparison to the U.S. People just kind of hang around all day. It's not like they are lazy, they just don't obsess with constantly being busy. Sure, once in a while someone will buy something or require services, but commerce just seems to be so matter of fact here. It makes you wonder how their economy can sustain itself. Italy faces demographic issues even worse than the U.S. I believe (in terms of an aging population) so they have even more headwinds for growth. When you combine this reality with a more relaxed attitude (living life to the fullest and in the moment), I guess it sheds more light on the economy here. In reality, I think Italians are blessed with fertile land and they basically live off the benefits of it.

I'm only in Sant'Andrea for one day. Nice little town in the foothills of the mountains. Tomorrow I'm headed to Salsomaggiore where I spend two days before heading back to Milan on Sunday and then I fly home on Tuesday. It's been a great trip but I'm definitely looking forward to being home soon.

No comments: