Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Day 13: Bologna to Montecchio Emilia (53 miles)

Today's ride was a walk in the park compared with the last two. The conditions were perfect. It was about 75-80 degrees and there was no wind. Just to highlight how much of a difference heat can make on a ride, today I drank ONE waterbottle in roughly 50 miles. Whereas I estimate I drank 15-20 in the 75 mile ride I did in the blazing heat a few days back.

While today's ride was relatively easy physically, I did have one issue with the route. It was almost too easy. I only needed to make one turn. But I forgot if the turn was before or after the city of Reggio. So I decided to stop in a relatively high-end bike shop I saw before Reggio. When I entered the store, there were five guys working on the bikes etc...When I walked in they all just stared at me. First I asked them if they spoke English. They all laughed. Then I told them I spoke a little Italian and asked them "quale la strada justa per Montecchio Emilia?" which translates to "where is the road to Montecchio Emilia". What ensued was classic Italian comedy. These guys argued for like 10 minutes back and forth as to which was the best way to Montecchio Emilia. Mind you, this place was only like 10 miles away. Yet each guy had a different opinion. And then each guy changed their mind on their opinion. Finally one guy steps in and tells me how to go. Just as he's finishing and I'm confirming back the directions another guy steps in and says "NO NO NO -- this is the right way". He overrides the other guy with new directions. Again, the town I was going was like 10 miles away and these guys were arguing which left turn I should make. One guy wanted me to turn like a 1/4 mile earlier than the other guy did. Yet they were arguing about it like it was an opinion about the existence of god. The best part is both roads led to exactly tht same spot. Italians are so funny when it comes to giving directions.

In Chioggia, the hotel owner had to change some network settings on my computer in order for me to gain access to their network. My computer worked okay in Ravenna but I had problems using the wifi connection in Bologna. When I arrived at my hotel today, I had the same problem. So I suspected my settings needed to be reset. But I didn't know how to fix it. Fortunately, there was a computer repair store next to the hotel here in Montecchio Emilia. Unfortunately, they didn't speak much English. This was going to put my Italian to the test. I brought my dictionary with me. I explained to them I only spoke a little Italian. I tried to explain my problem. They said they understood perfectly. They came back to the hotel with me to test things out and they fixed the problem. They were pretty good computer technicians because I didn't even explain to them that it was probably an issue with the settings (this would be way too sophisticated/nuanced for me to say in Italian). They narrowed down the problem themselves. When I asked them how much I owed them, they smiled, waved their hands, smacked me on the back and told me it was their pleasure. Italians are so mint.

I'm only in this town one night. It's just a pass through town to another destination. But I think it's like the Parmesian Reggiano capital of the world. When I entered the town there was traffic circle with a huge statue of a chunk of cheese and 10 foot cheese knife. I'm looking forward to dinner tonight so I can check out some of the cheese. Here's some pics of the cheese and knife:


2 comments:

firsst said...

great story of the italian direction "debacle". their passionate analysis of best route (when there really aren't alot of options) is so bully.

that computer story is incredible. i can't think of anywhere in the u.s. that would happen.

Heather said...

I love your blog. It's always entertaining, and so mint. Got your postcard today. We miss you!!