Sunday, June 7, 2009

Day 3: Bergamo to Verona (75 miles)

Today was simply a classic Italian touring day - the kind of day you dream about.

Last night was probably a good omen for today. When I was at dinner, I met two guys from Spain, Josè and Salvatorè, that were in Bergamo for a shoe convention. They invited me outside for a Cuban cigar and some grappa and we chatted about life. The only downside to meeting them was they were speaking some Spanish to me (I studied Spanish in high school and college so I know it a bit). But it was confusing now to speak Spanish because it's so similar to Italian. Up until that point I was able to keep Spanish and Italian pretty much compartmentalized but unfortunately now I think the seal has been broken.


Given my experience on Friday riding from Milan to Bergamo without a map, I did a lot of work on today's route last night. I identified smaller roads to take etc...and it paid off big time. The weather was beautiful and the roads had only a few cars. As I was leaving Brescia (which was about 30 miles into my 75 mile ride), a cyclist rode up beside me and we stared chatting. He took me on a hidden bike only route to Largo di Garda. He taught me some new Italian words and we exchanged e-mails so we could learn each other's language. Riding with him was an awesome experience. Here's a picture of us right before we descended to the lake behind us:


I guess it's just human nature, but I'm sitting here laughing at the fact that I had such a great day and my post is so short. I was so excited to write about all the details but I'm just going to keep it short and sheet. Oggi era un giorno molto buono (today was a very good day).

1 comment:

armchair cyclo tourist said...

those giordana shorts look amazing. and the scenery too. did you change saddles? that doesn't look like fizik.

ride on!