Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Day 11: Ravenna to Bologna (48 miles)

Man, is it getting hot. I think it hit 95 degrees today. Riding in the heat is a bear. I left early in order to avoid the hottest part of the day but even at 9am the air is roasting.

I stopped in a little town called Massa Lombarda for a drink on the way to Bologna. The people were so friendly there. I had a five minute conversation with a woman in Italian. She was asking about my journey, etc... and I was able to hold my own.

I think I'm starting to take the next step in my knowledge of Italian. I'm beginning to understand the structure of the language and can construct sentences and phrases on my own. But just like in life, if you get too confident with your language skills you are bound to get knocked down a peg quickly. So I'm taking things slow and staying humble.

When I was in Ravenna I ran into two guys from Austria who were touring Italy. I told them how much I paid for a room (€50) and they laughed at me. They stop in random small towns along their route and pay like €15 a night each. If my Italian improves enough, on my next trip I may just wing it on hotels and use the same strategy. If you can avoid staying and eating in the big cities you can probably cut your trip costs in half or even up to 75%.

No comments: